Your water heater, unlike an air conditioner or a furnace, is in use all year around. Imagine the hassle if you water heater broken in the winter? It would be awesome. At DMS Plumbing, we’ve developed a checklist for you in order to maintain your water heater in Las Vegas.
The DMS Plumbing Water Heater Checklist:
- Shut off the Heat: Make sure to shut off the heat source regardless of whether you have a gas or electric tank. Another option is to turn off at least 30 minutes prior to working on the water heater.
- Check All Valves: Make sure to inspect all of the valves, especially the temperature and pressure valves. To do this, lift the lever slightly, and you should hear the sound of water running into the drain tube.
- Leak Check: Mix a dish soap in warm water to create a solution. Apply it generously to all joints and pipes while watching for bubbles to appear.
- Drain the Water Heater: Make sure to shut off the incoming-water valve. Next, connect a hose to the drain valve and run the water out. Note: Open a hot water faucet inside the house to allow air in.
- Remove Any Buildup: Make sure that all the water is out and then locate the clean-hole. You can use a flashlight to look inside. Check for soot, rust or sediment. If you see any of the following, you can use hot water to clean the tank or contact DMS Plumbing and we can advise you on how to properly clean the glass lining without damaging it.
- Refill the Tank: Shut off all valves and valves and turn the incoming water back on. Allow the tank to refill and then repeat Step 2 above to ensure your system is working properly.
- Adjust / Reduce the Temperature: We believe is saving you money and therefore, a small adjustment in temperature can help decrease your energy use and prolong the life of your water heater.
If you have any questions or would like to talk to a professional, call us at: (702) 353-7335. With our team of experienced plumbers, we know what we are doing!Share this post!